Entry 1: What Do You Know?
Students wrote and discussed regarding the following question.
1) Why is the Holocaust an important topic for US History students to learn?
2) What is the meaning of the term Holocaust? How does it apply to the time period in history of 1933 to 1945?
1. I think that the Holocaust is an important subject for U.S. History students to learn about the Holocaust for the same reasons that I think we should lean about any other period of history, so that we do not make the same mistakes or bad decisions made in the past. Some students think that history is a long dragged out class but if you really stop to think about it we need to know this stuff I mean somebody is going to have to be president.
2. The meaning of the word Holocaust is burning by fire. This applies to the period in history 1933-1945 because many innocent dead and alive people were put into crematoriums. Also many people were shot beaten to death or starved to death then burned in mass graves.
Image: George Cassutto
US History, Period 5
April 26, 2001
The Holocaust is important for students to learn because this will help stop people like Adolph Hitler from killing so many innocent people.
Plus, this lets us realize how much trouble the Jews went through back in WWII.
The reason why the Holocaust applies to the time period in history of 1933-1945 us because the Holocaust was when the Nazis rounded up the Jews, Gypsies, and others and sent them to concentration camps. At the concentration camps, they were either to work, or they were put to death by getting shot, but mostly by getting put in gas chambers. After that, sometimes their bodies would be burned. This is why the Holocaust means, "a destruction by fire."
It is important for United States history students to learn about the Holocaust because some people moved to the United States during the Holocaust. We also do not want to be like the old saying, “If we don’t learn history we are doomed to repeat it.” It is also a lesson for the next generation.
The term holocaust originally meant a thorough destruction especially by fire. This term was placed on the time period of 1933 to 1945 because Nazis killed Jews, Gypsies, disabled people, and homosexuals by fire, guns, poisonous gasses, and evil twisted experiments.
April 26, 2001
1. The Holocaust is an important topic for US History students to learn because it changed racial discrimination. In addition, it was a very controversial part of history.
2. A holocaust is a great or total destruction of life, especially by fire. It applies to the time period in history of 1933-1945 because many people were burned in the crematoriums, but also from starvation and from being poisoned with gas (Zyklon B). In addition, the Jewish synagogues were destroyed along with their businesses and neighborhoods.
Image Courtesy of Betsy Hinko
April 27, 2001
1) The Holocaust is an important topic to study because it tells us about discrimination. People were prosecuted because of their religion, culture, color of eyes or hair and other things besides their personality or what kind of person they were. Especially Jews were treated in such a way that millions were killed. It tells us that discrimination is a bad and horrible thing.
I think that the Holocaust is an important topic because it shows how hatred can overcome a person. And it shows too how that same hatred can cause people to do something not very smart.
I think that the word holocaust means something bad because the way it sounds feels freaky. And since the time of the Holocaust was all fear, hatred, deaths, and bad things and thoughts, so since the word sound freaky and horrifying, I think it fits the definition.
learn because that way we know the past and will hopefully not repeat such a horrible thing. Also because they now know what all of World War 2 was about and how the Americans did eventually go in and save the ones left, although
Who do you know?
The Holocaust is an important subject for US History students to
they did not do it right away
By: Caroline W.
April 26, 2001
The Holocaust is an important topic in US history for students to study, because it shows the importance of not judging people by what they look like, believe in, their religion, abilities, or how they act. We should never forget the people who died in the Holocaust. The word “holocaust” means great or total destruction. In the case of the period of history from 1933 to 1945, it was the great destruction of Jews, mostly, but also of many other groups of people, such as blacks, the disabled and handicapped, children, the elderly, among others.
March 4, 2001
I think that it is important to teach the Holocaust to the 7th grade students because it is not only an important date during US history it is also something more on a personal note. It personally teaches younger students that on e person can change hundreds of millions of people to think exactly the way the person does even when extreme hatred is involved. Germany was in such a bad state after the war that all of its people would do anything to be back on its feet again. Adolph Hitler was a person who believed that if he blamed one religion (Jewish) with all the problems after the war then he could wipe out the entire "race ."
Cover of Last Jew of Rotterdam
It was like everyone followed one man because of what he said is (what they thought) true. Because of the Nazi party millions of people who were not perfect in others eyes were killed. The Holocaust was a time period when there was many places were Jewish people or people who disagreed with the choices of the Nazi party were killed innocently because of what they thought and the actions they took because of it.
To Holocaust Journal Main Page To Project Main Page