Quiz: Computer Applications
1) What is the DOS command to change directories?
2) What is the DOS command to make a directory?
3) What is the DOS command to display all the contents of a directory in wide fashion across the screen?
Answer: dir /w
4) Which windows program is depicted here?
Answer: File Manager
4A) Write a sentence that describes the function(s) of the program shown above.
Answer: Copy, move, delete, search for a file, open, view the programs and files on the hard drive.
5) Where is data stored temporarily on the computer so the hard drive does less work?
Answer: In RAM
6) What is the DOS command to copy filename.txt from the hard drive's directory called "departments" to a floppy disk and keep the file name the same?
c:\ copy filename.txt a:\
7) What type of Pentium processor is made to handle multi-media files such as sound and video?
Answer: Pentium MMX
8) What program on a PC tells you most of the details of a computers system?
Answer: Microsoft diagnostics (MSD)
In Win 95: System icon in control panel
9) What is HTML?
Hypertext Mark-up Language
It is the computer code used to write web pages.
10) List the two most popular web browsers.
Answer: Netscape & Microsoft Internet Explorer
11) Most hard drives in today's new systems can contain how much information?
Answer: One gigabyte (1 GB)
12) Which machine is faster: a 486 running at 100 Mhz or a Pentium running at 90 Mhz?
Answer: Pentium 90
13) Most modems in today's systems can receive and send data at 28.8 kps. What does kps stand for?
Answer: Kilobytes Per Second
14) What is the clock speed of the fastest Pentium II on the market today?
Answer: 400 or 450 (Sept. 1998)
15) What is the industry standard for the average new system in terms about amount of RAM it should have?
Answer: 32 MB or 64 MB
16) What is the name of the program seen at right?
Answer: Program Manager
17) What is the term used for the small squares (icons) seen on this graphic?
Answer: program groups
18) What is the user doing to activate the box seen at right?
Answer: Opening a file
19) Name the letter that shows where a person would look to find the file name in this process?
Answer: A (File name)
20) From which directory is the user going to get the file?
Extra Credit) With which program is the user getting the file?