Video Worksheet: The Progressive Movement
Read the questions first so you know what to expect. While watching and listening carefully to the video, use the word bank at the end of these questions to locate the answers. Don't worry any questions you miss. Just go back and fill them in after the video. Your book and notes will help you.
Women take the Lead
1) Name the woman who started Hull House, a Chicago settlement house where rich and poor, immigrant and native could find a home.
2) Name one good example of the kinds of problems Progressivism tried to fix during the early 20th century.
A Clash of Cultures
3) Progressive leaders hoped education reform would do what to the large numbers of immigrants coming into American society
4) Which symbol of alcohol did Progressive reformers try to remove even though it was a central meeting place for immigrant workers?
Muckrakers and Bosses
5) Name one of the best-known muckrakers who exposed the waste and greed of the modern United States.
6) What institution was investigated by Steffens and other writers, giving rise to Roosevelt's term "muckrakers?"
7) What did the Progressives believe was true about the bosses that ran the large American cities and handed out favors in return for votes and power?
8) Which election reform prevented the Boss from knowing how people voted, and in turn, who to reward or punish?
Fighting The Trusts
9) What did Cornelius Vanderbilt say when asked if his railroad benefited the public interest?
10) What power did the large trusts have over the economy, and eventually led to their break-up?
11) The actions of which trust was exposed by Ida Tarbell, who criticized its founder, John D. Rockefeller?
12) Which industry was described in the 1906 book The Jungle, written by Upton Sinclair?
13) Which term means that a worker will receive money from the government or from the corporation if injured on the job?
14) Name the Progressive president who was the youngest man to ever hold the nation's highest office.
15) Which law did Roosevelt sign as a result of the public pressure caused by Sinclair's The Jungle?
16) Name the law that controlled medicines and banned false labeling on packages.
Teddy & the Professor
17) Which president took over in the role of "trust-buster" after Roosevelt left the White House in 1909?
18) What was the name of the party Roosevelt led in the 1912 election after he broke with the Republicans?
19) Who won the election of 1912 as a result of Roosevelt's splitting the Republicans, promising to rid the nation of the trusts?
20) Which financial institution came under federal control with the passage of the Federal Reserve Act?
Freedom? Whose Freedom?
21) Name the 1896 case that upheld the "separate but equal" laws of the segregated South.
22) What is the term for a killing of someone, usually by hanging, because they belong to a race or other ethnic group?
23) Which black leader argued that patience, hard work, and black self help would bring about economic equality with whites?
24) Which black leader demanded immediate equal rights in the education, housing and employment?
25) Name the group that was often a target of persecution, and who believed that the workers, not the bosses, should own the nation's industries.
26) Who was the 1912 presidential candidate who gained almost one million votes and who was later arrested for being against the US entry into World War I?
27) What was the nickname given to the members of the Industrial Workers of the World, who were often harassed or shot and killed during the early 20th century?
28) All too often, giving women the right to vote was expressed in what kind of negative terms?
29) What was made illegal after World War I with the passage of Prohibition?
30) Name two periods in American history when the spirit of progressivism would be revived in the believe that America could reshape the world?
The Word Bank
|Women take the Lead
||A Clash of Cultures
||Muckrakers and Bosses
|Fighting The Trusts
|Fighting The Trusts (Continued)
||Teddy & the Professor
|Freedom? Whose Freedom?
||Freedom? Whose Freedom?
George Cassutto's Cyberlearning World
[Lesson Plan of the Day] [Cassutto Memorial] [About the Author] [Search] [Civics Lesson Plans]