The Industrial Revolution Crossword: Sections 1 and 2 of Chapter 21 pp 588-599
Why We Remember
2. Money used to produce goods.
8. Developed the air brake (590).
9. (2 wds) Also called capitalism, it is the economic system where businesses
are free to compete without government rules (pg 592).
10. These shipping costs were paid by railroads for using their company.
13. Combining several companies into one large company.
14. He developed a railway telegraph system (590).
16. Customers demanded that the government do this to the railroads.
17. It is the distance between rails (pg 590).
20. The __________ Antitrust Act of 1890 declared "any combination... in restraint of trade"
1. He was the master of consolidating railroads.
2. A type of business that raises money by selling shares of stock to investors.
3. created a sleeping car for overnight travel (590).
4. (2 words) Rivers, forests, coal, iron ore, and fossil fuels count as these. (pg 588)
5. (2 words) It was the first store that used a catalogue to allow shopping by mail. (pp. 589-590).
6. His process reduced the cost of making steel. (pg. 594)
7. He wanted to control all steps of oil production (pg 589).
11. Investors who own part of the business and who elect boards of directors.
12. Interstate ______________ means trade between states.
15. These made up the driving force behind the industrial revolution.
18. A business combination where a board of managers controlled member corporations.
19. He controlled the steel industry through consolidation.
Answers are available