|Click a circle on
the map and the name of the battle or event will appear in this frame.
Click the name of the battle in this frame and more information will appear in the frame below.
1. Germany Invades Poland
Soviet Union invades Poland
Battleship Graf Spee Destroyed
Sitzkieg or "sitting war" begins
2. April: Germany Invades Denmark & Norway
3. Germany invades Holland & Belgium
4. Evacuation from Dunkirk Begins
June: Italy declares war on Britain and France
U.S.S.R invades Baltic States
5. Paris falls. France surrenders.
6. July: Battle of Britain begins
Sept: London blitzed heavily
Japan formally joins Axis.
Nov: Hungary joins Axis
March: Lend-Lease Act Passed
7. April: Yugoslavia & Greece occupied by Germany.
8. Battle For Tobruk begins.
May: Bismark sunk.
Crete Fails to Germany
9. June: Germany attacks U.S.S.R.
July: Great Britain and U.S.S.R. form alliance.
10. Japan invades French Indochina
11. May-Dec: Germans stopped outside Moscow
attacks Pearl Harbor.
Japan declares War on U.S. & Britain.
13. Japan invades Thailand, Malaya, and Hong Kong
Germany & Italy declare war on U.S.
14. Japan invades Burma, Borneo, Wake Island.
fall to Japan.
16. Jan & Feb: Japan Invades Indonesia
17. Singapore Falls to Japan
18. Japan invades Solomon Islands.
March: Burma falls to Japan
Macarthur Escapes from Philippines
April: U.S. troops surrender on Bataan
May: U.S. forces on Corregidor
19. The Island of Corregidor falls to Japan. The Philippines are fully under Japanese control.
Allied Blitz of Cologne Begins
20. Battle of Midway
June: Tobruk Falls to Rommel
Kharkov falls to Germans
Aug: U.S. Marines land at Guadalcanal in Solomon Is.
Germans take Caucasus Mts.
21. Battle of Stalingrad begins
22. Oct: British attack El Alamein, Egypt
Allies Invade Morocco & Algeria Axis occupied all of France
24. British take Tobruk.
Aug: Churchill & FDR meet off Newfoundland and form Atlantic Charter
Sept: Germans surround Leningrad
Germans take Kiev
Churchill & FDR meet at Casablanca
Germans surrender at Stalingrad
Feb: U.S. takes Guadalcanal
Soviets take Kharkov
Oct: Tojo becomes Japan's Prime Minister
June: Axis defeated in N. Africa
25. U-Boats withdraw from N. Atlantic ending Battle of the Atlantic
July: Largest Tank battle at Kursk in USSR
26. Allies invade Sicily
Saturation bombing of Germany begins
Mussolini deposed & arrested
Sept: Allies land in Italy
Germans occupy Rome
Mussolini escapes to Germany
October: Italy declares war on Germany
Nov: FDR, Churchill, & Chiang Kai-Shek meet in Cairo, Egypt
Dec: FDR, Churchill, Stalin meet In Tehran, Iran
Jan: Eisenhower appointed Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force
27. Allies land at Anzio, Italy
Germans defeated at Leningrad
U.S. lands at Marshall Is.
28. Feb: Allies stall at Cassino
May: U.S. breaks out at Anzio
June: Allies enter Rome
29. D-Day: Allies land in Normandy, France
U.S. bombs Tokyo
Battle of Philippine sea: U.S. wins.
July: Assassination of Hitler fails
U.S. invades Guam
Aug: Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
Allies land in S. France
Paris liberated by Allies
Sept: Brussels and Antwerp liberated
Operation Market-Garden fails at Arnhem.
April: Allies enter Germany
30. Warsaw rebellion crushed
British liberate Greece
Rommel commits suicide
De Gaulle heads temporary French Govt.
Oct: U.S. inflicts heavy losses on Japan:
31. Battle of Leyte Gulf
Nov: FDR wins 4th term
32. Dec: Battle of the Bulge begins in Belgium
Jan: Germans lose battle of the Bulge
Soviets enter Warsaw
Feb: US Troops enter Manila
Yalta Conference held in USSR
Allies cross the Rhine; enter Berlin, firebomb Dresden
33. US lands on Iwo Jima
34. April: Battle for Okinawa begins
Vienna falls to Soviets
FDR dies: Truman takes over
35. Soviets enter Berlin
US. & Soviets meet at Elbe River
U.N. created in San Francisco
Germans in Italy give up
Hitler commits suicide in Berlin bunker
May: Berlin surrenders to Soviets Allies occupy Munich
Germany surrenders (V-E Day)
June: Germany divided in 4 zones
Philippines fully liberated
July: First A-Bomb test
Aug: Potsdam meeting: Truman, Churchill, Stalin
Atlee replaces Churchill
36. A-Bomb on Hiroshima & Nagasaki