||The C & O Canal was a waterway planned to connect
the Potomac and Ohio rivers. Construction on the canal began in 1828, with
generous financial banking from towns along the Potomac River and Chesapeake
Bay. This helped to establish a trade route to Ohio River settlements.
The waterway began above the falls of the Potomac river at Georgetown.
When construction was halted by the depression on 1937, the canal extended
only 100 miles westward. Half-hearted building efforts continued until
1850. The canal was used until 1924 as far as Cumberland, MD; were construction
ended. At the completion of the canal, the final cost was $11 million.
The Chesapeake and Ohio canal was 184 miles long and 60 feet wide, it averaged
6 feet deep.
The historic park lies between Washington, DC and Cumberland, MD, with a small section in West Virginia. It was officially established in 1961, and includes one of the oldest U.S. lock canals for mule-drawn boats. Completed in 1850, the canal was used up to 1924.
More information on the C & O Canal can be located at the following links:
From The National Park Service:
The Chesapeake & Ohio National Historical Park
http://www.omcdesigns.com/canal/ National Scenic Trail Homepage
Kathy Bilton's Canal Page A Must!