2) Name an industrial product that is common to most of the states in this region.
3) Which state did the President of the Confederate States of America, Jefferson Davis, represent in the US Senate before leading the CSA?
4) Newt Gingrich represents the 6th district of Georgia. He happens to be the presiding officer of the lower house of the federal legislature. What special position does this member of the House of Representatives hold in American government?
5) Which state was the first to secede from the Union in 1860 after Abraham Lincoln was elected to the presidency?
6) Name two states of this region that were obtained by the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.
7) Which of these southern states is still a strong steel producer?
8) From which state does the oldest, longest-serving senator come?
9) Name the #1 agricultural product that has historically and presently been produced in this region.
10) What important position in American government is held by Trent Lott, Republican senator from Mississippi?
11) Which of the region's states was established as a colony for criminals and debtors in 1634?
12) Name the government agency based at Cape Canaveral in Florida.
13) Name the two cities destroyed by General William T. Sherman in 1864 toward the end of the Civil War.
14) Name one of two states where chemical production possibly results in higher cancer rates?
15) What is the largest city in the state of Lousiana?
16) From which European nation was the Louisiana Purchase obtained in 1803 (as a way for its Emperor to gain war funds)?
17) What mythical source of happiness was Ponce De Leon looking for when he encountered the land he called Florida, claiming it for Spain?
18) Which southern state acted as the "Cradle of the Confederacy" when it became the CSA's temporary capital during the Civil War?
19) Which Native American tribe originated in Florida and fought ferociously against the Federal Government during the 1800s? This tribe is technically still at war with the US since it has never signed a peace treaty with the Federal Government.
20) What is the result of the process of strip mining, which is used to obtain minerals under the topsoil?
Extra Credit: Name the federal outpost where the first shots of the Civil War were fired.
Answers can be found here.