Part 2: Fact Questions
1) Name the dominant agricultural project of the region (one that is found in every state in the region).
2) Name the government agency that brought electricity to Kentucky and Tennessee during the 1930s.
Answer: Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)
3)After actor Fred Thompson was elected as one of Tennessee's senators, which topic did his Governmental Operations committee investigate? Answer: Campaign finance
4) Coal mining has led to erosion in this region due to what practice? This practice is done to get at the raw materials under the soil.
Answer: Strip Mining
5)Which West Virginia senator is loved by his state's voters because he "brings home the bacon," but is disliked by watchdog groups because his programs are seen as "pork?" Answer: Sen Robert Byrd
6)Which city in this region acted as the capital city for the Confederate States of America from 1861 to 1865? Answer: Richmond
7) Name the North Carolina senator who is the chair of the Foreign Relations Committee.Answer: Jesse Helms
8) Which state joined the Union during the Civil War as the 35th state in 1863?Answer: West Virginia
9)Which state was first settled by Sir Walter Raleigh and was the home of the Lost Colony of Roanoke, which disappeared for unknown reasons. Answer: North Carolina
10) Name the mountain range and national park that Tennessee and North Carolina share.
Answer: The Great Smokey Mountains
11) Which war ended at Yorktown in Virginia in 1781 with the surrender of General Cornwallis?
Answer: The War For Independence or Revolutionary War
12) Sen John D. "Jay" Rockefeller represents which of this region's states in the US Senate?
Answer: West Virginia
13) The House of Burgesses was founded in 1619 as the representative body of which of these states?
14) Which region of Virginia is experiencing rapid growth as more people are employed in Washington, DC: Northern, Western, or Southern.
15) Which economic activity would Virginia Beach, Skyline Drive, and the forests of West Virginia have in common?