The Inauguration of
1. Which Amendment to the Constitution makes inauguration day January 20?
The 20th Amendment
2. Which president said in his 1961 inaugural address: "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country."
3. In which national crisis did Franklin Roosevelt say in his first inaugural address, "So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." ?
The Great Depression
4. Which president took his oath of office in April in New York City on the balcony of the Senate Chamber at Federal Hall on Wall Street?
5. Which inaugural address (which
president, first or second) included these famous words:
"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds..."
6.Which president gave the longest inaugural speech but serving the shortest term of office because he died of a pneumonia from giving the speech in the cold March rain?
William Henry Harrison
7. Which president was the first to give his inaugural speech in January?
8. Which president was the first to take the oath of office in the Capitol Rotunda?
9. Which presidential inaugural was the first known to have been photographed?
10. Who the first president to ride to and
from his inaugural in an automobile?
Warren G. Harding
11. Who was the first ex-president to
administer the oath of office as Chief Justice (to Calvin Coolidge)?
12. Who is the only president to have had
more than two inaugurations?
Franklin D. Roosevelt
13. At whose inaugural did Robert Frost participate in the official ceremonies at the Capitol for the first time as a poet?
John F. Kennedy's
14. Which president was the first to use a bullet-proofed, closed limousine in the inaugural parade?
Lyndon B. Johnson
15. Which president used an old family Bible and a second Bible on lectern had been used at inauguration of George Washington?
16. Who was the first president to walk
all the way from the Capitol to the White House with his family after ceremony?
17. At whose first inaugural did poet Maya
Angelou recite her poem "On the Pulse of Morning?"
William Jefferson Clinton
18. Which chief justice of the
Supreme Court was the last to give the Oath of office in 2005?
19. Who will administer the oath of office
to President-Elect Barack Obama in 2009?
Chief Justice John Roberts
20. On which side of the US Capitol is the oath of office administered?
On the west front of the Capitol.
21. Which presidential couple had the first inaugural ball thrown for them at Long's Hotel in 1809?
James and Dolley Madison
22. Including Barack Obama's how many
inaugural ceremonies have taken place?
23. Who was the First Vice President to assume Presidency upon the death of the President?
24. Which president's inaugural was the first to have African Americans participate in the Inaugural parade for the first time.
25. Which president's first inauguration, in 1801, was the first to take place in the new capital city of Washington?
26.Which president had to be sworn-in a second time because the chief justice made a mistake when administering the oath?
27. How many people were estimated to be on the National Mall when Barack Obama was sworn in as president?
28. How many inaugural balls did Barack and Michelle Obama attend?
29. Who designed the dress for Michelle
Obama's inaugural ball appearances?
30. What did Barack Obama ask the audience
at the Neighborhood ball when he introduced Michelle?
"How good looking is my wife?"
|To Inaugural Essay||To the Inauguration Quiz||To The Inauguration Lesson Plan||Visit the 53rd Inauguration Through the Eyes of an Average American||To Election Central 2008|